Submission format: In order for Left Hand Publishers to consider your manuscripts for publication. Our preferred format is based on the Shunn template, which is considered the standard. The Word template attached to this page has all of the styles you need pre-made. You just have to apply a style to a paragraph.
- Click to Download sample PDF of General_Submission_Guidelines.
- Here is the General Submission Guidelines Template Clean V4b – Word template without guidelines inserted, but includes styles
- Download General Submission Guidelines-V4 – Word .doc with guidelines inserted, but needed to be deleted, and includes styles built-in
In the header, put your last name, title and automatic page count , flush right. i.e. “Header example: Jones/The Queen City/2 of 5”.
You can insert the auto- page count in Word by
- using menu items “View > Header and Footer”
- Insert Auto-Text “Page x of x”. You can remove the word “Page” if you like. This tells us how many pages and which one we are on.
- In the Header and Footer ‘ribbon’, above your document, but below your menu, check the box “Different First Page” so your first page does not show the Header and Footer info such as Name/Title/Page #’s.
- Click on Close Header and Footer in ribbon.
- Name – Word Count –
- Flush left, put your first name and last name on line one.
- On the same line, hit the TAB key and type “Approx. ” On this line, set your first tab to be flush right all the way to the right side of the page.
- From the Insert menu, select “Field…”
- When the dialog box pops up, select Document Information from the left hand panel.
- Select NumWords from the right hand panel.
- Click OK.
- Type in “words” after the number appears. This should give you a count of how many words are in your document.
- Address on line two.
- City, State & Zip code on line three.
- Email address on line four.
- Mobile phone number on line five.
Title – about half way down the page, the title of your story in bold, Initial Caps. Can be centered.
- Highlight the title
- In the Format menu, select “Change Case…”
- When the dialog box pops open, select “Title Case”.
- Click OK.
- With the title still selected, press CTRL-B (or CMD-B on a Mac) To make your title bold.
- The byline “By FirstName LastName” should be centered one double spaced line (or two lines) below your title.
Submission Format: At A Minimum:
- Font: Times New Roman 12
- All paragraphs indented five (5) using Word formatting tools or 1/4″
- Document to be double spaced
- Only flush left, not justified (not justified in the right margin)
- Body of your content should start one double-spaced line below your name above, indent paragraphs five (5) spaces
- using Word formatting tools. Do not tab to indent paragraphs.
- Please use italics if needed and not underscore.
- Use # or * to denote time/scene breaks centered on a single line. Please do not leave blank lines.
- Start each new chapter on its own page, one-third of the way down the page.
- The chapter number and chapter title should be in all caps, separated by two hyphens: CHAPTER 1—THE BODY.
- Begin the body of the chapter four to six lines below the chapter title.
Left Hand Publishers is NOT a vanity press. We will never ask the writer for an investment or to pay any part of the cost of being published. We provide our publishing services as a percentage of revenue which we participate in, once the work sells. Optional Services are available to writers who need assistance in getting their manuscripts and/or their marketing tools honed for a successful and profitable publishing experience. For various consulting services, outside of publishing, we will provide an estimate in advance at no charge. For more information, contact us at .