Left Hand Publishers announces their new call for submissions for Mindscapes Unimagined and Mysteries Unimagined. Submissions open in early June, and close at the end of July. Do not submit before the submission date stated in the call (see below).
Mindscapes Unimagined will focus on the supernatural, horror, fantasy, urban fantasy, and any speculative fiction. Mysteries Unimagined is much as it seems: spotlighting mysteries, thrillers, crime drama, and unanswered questions. All short stories submitted MUST have a twist toward the end that catches the reader off guard and surprises them with more than a touch of irony or shock.
No simultaneous submissions, please. We ask that you do not submit a story to us and to another market at the same time. This has come up a number of times. It wastes your time and ours if we read, edit, review, and possibly accept your short story only to have it be accepted somewhere else at the same time.
Mindscapes & Mysteries Unimagined
In our Call for Submissions for our anthologies we accept only short stories. Novels, novellas, and short story collections (as an entire book) should be submitted to https://lefthandpublishers.com/open-call-for-submissions/. We will review your submission and contact you on the viability of Left Hand Publishers accepting it to be published. Please use this form to submit your manuscript. If you do not receive a receipt of your submission within 72 hours, please email us at to confirm that we have received your document.
WIN A FREE AUTHOR WEBSITE
Submitting your story automatically registers you in our Register To Win contest where you could win a FREE author website (some restrictions apply). It does NOT register you in our Win A Free Kindle contest. In order to be registered for that, you must register here and then review some of our books in order to complete the registration.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS GUIDELINES:
- No simultaneous submissions, please. We ask that you do not submit a story to us and to another market at the same time.
- GENRES: Open to Speculative Fiction (works in which the setting is other than the real world, involving supernatural, futuristic, or other imagined elements); Suspense; Thriller; Supernatural; Horror; Mystery; Crime; or Science Fiction (or some combination of any of those genres) is acceptable. Please note below which genre you think your story fits. It may be more than one. LHP reserves the right to place any submission into what they deem the appropriate venue.
- SPECIFICALLY UNACCEPTABLE GENRES: Romance/Erotica, Middle School, Biographical, Autobiographical, Memoirs, Poetry, Non-Fiction, or Pornography.
- WORD COUNT for Mindscapes: 4,000 to 9,000 words.
- WORD COUNT for Mysteries: 4,000 to 11,000 words.
- Title of submission shall not contain variations of the phrase “Mindscapes Unimagined” or “Mysteries Unimagined” – do not use the words “mindscapes,” “unimagined,” or “mysteries” in your title.
- Standard manuscript format. (Go to www.lefthandpublishers.com for complete guidelines and to download the format template.)
- Submissions must be made as .doc or .docx attachment only and NOT copied into the body of the email. Only electronic submissions accepted.
- In accordance with Left Hand Publishers’ standards, stories containing pedophilia, bestiality, overtly descriptive rape, or graphic gore will not be considered.
- Factors in anthology acceptance:
- How well does the story fit the theme of a given book;
- Quality of the story based on characterization, conflict, TWIST at the end, and how engaging it is;
- Word count, length, and formatting (while minor considerations, they indicate a certain professionalism about the craft);
- Technical writing quality: sentence and story structure, pacing, split infinitives, an overabundance of adjectives, adverbs, similes, filter words, etc.
- Quality of the manuscript’s editing/proofreading (again, both indications of professionalism about the craft)
- Failure to submit story according to guidelines will be cause for immediate rejection.
- Multiple story submissions (to LHP) are accepted if individually submitted in compliance with guidelines.
- Stories shorter than the 4,000-word minimum may be submitted with a second work. The two works together will be considered one submission (to meet the minimum word criteria), and if accepted, the author will be awarded one royalty check when the book is printed and one electronic copy of the book. No story shorter than 4,000 words will be accepted (and more importantly, compensated for) without a second piece that brings the word count up to at least 4,000 words. This is to be fair to the writers who are submitting at least 4,000 words.
- Only previously unpublished stories may be submitted. Upon acceptance into the anthology, author will receive a standard short story/anthology agreement from Left Hand Publishers.
- Exclusivity – the rights to the short story are reverted back to the author 12 months after the initial publishing. Left Hand Publishers reserves the right to continue to reprint the anthology, but the author may also shop the story to other markets with the understanding that it may still be in print with LHP.
- Multiple authors – one story may have multiple authors, but only one royalty check per story will be distributed and one electronic copy of the book. It is up to the multiple co-authors to figure out how to divvy that up.
- Compensation – will be to a PayPal account only.
- SUBMISSION E-MAIL SUBJECT LINE SHOULD READ: Mindscapes Unimagined – Story Title – Author first initial, last name OR Mysteries Unimagined – Story Title – Author first initial, last name. All submissions are to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or submitted via our form (below). Only submit the form once. It may look as if it is still processing (spinning), but we have most likely received it. If you think we did not get it, email us to ask, or resubmit via email.
- SUBMISSIONS OPEN: Friday, June 1, 2018 – We absolutely will not accept anything earlier than that. Just hold on to your stories until June 1.
- SUBMISSIONS CLOSE: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 (5:00 p.m. EST)
- SELECTION PERIOD: Friday, August 31, 2018 – Acceptance or rejection notification e-mails will be sent out then.
- CONTRIBUTOR COMPENSATION: $25 per story (or combination of stories) selected for inclusion and one electronic copy of the anthology. Payable upon book going on sale (estimated date: late fall, 2018).
Left Hand Publishers is NOT a vanity press. We will never ask the writer for an investment or to pay any part of the cost of being published. We provide our publishing services as a percentage of revenue which we participate in, once the work sells. Optional Services are available to writers who need assistance in getting their manuscripts and/or their marketing tools honed for a successful and profitable publishing experience. For various consulting services, outside of publishing, we will provide an estimate in advance at no charge. For more information, contact us at .