ANTHOLOGY TITLE: Beautiful Lies, Painful Truths
“Life asked Death: ‘Why do people love me but hate you?’
Death responded, ‘Because you are a beautiful lie and I am a painful truth.’”
The above quote will appear on the first page of the book. Let the title and quote take your imagination and your story, wherever it wants to go.
GENRES: Open to Speculative Fiction (works in which the setting is other than the real world, involving supernatural, futuristic, or other imagined elements); Mystery/Thriller; Horror; Western; Fantasy; or Science Fiction. Some Literary Fiction (only involving social commentary or reflection on the human condition) is acceptable.
WORD COUNT: 4,000 to 8,000 words.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS GUIDELINES:
- Title of submission shall not contain variations of the phrase “Beautiful Lies, Painful Truths.”
- Standard manuscript format. (Go to www.lefthandpublishers.com for complete guidelines and to download format template.)
- Submissions must be made as .doc or .docx attachment only and NOT copied into the body of the email. Only electronic submissions accepted.
- In accordance with Left Hand Publishers’ standards, stories containing pedophilia, bestiality, overtly descriptive rape, or graphic gore will not be considered.
- Failure to submit story according to guidelines will be cause for immediate rejection.
- Multiple story submissions accepted if individually submitted in compliance with guidelines.
- No simultaneous submissions, please. We ask that you do not submit a story to us and to another market at the same time.
- Only previously unpublished stories may be submitted. Upon acceptance into the anthology, author will receive a standard short story/anthology contract from Left Hand Publishers.
- Exclusivity – the rights to the short story are reverted back to the author, six month after the initial publishing. Left Hand Publishers reserve the right to continue to reprint the anthology, but the author may also shop the story to other markets with the understanding that it may still be in print with LHP.
- Stories shorter than the 4,000 word minimum may be submitted with a second work. The two works together will be considered one submission (to meet the minimum word criteria) and if accepted, the author will be awarded one royalty check and one copy of the book when printed. No story shorter than 4,000 words will be accepted (and more importantly, compensated for) with a second piece that brings the word count up to at least 4,000 words. This is to be fair to the writers that are submitting at least 4,000 words.
- Multiple authors – one story may have multiple authors, but only one royalty check per story will be distributed and one copy of the book. It is up to the multiple co-authers to figure out to divvy that up.
- Compensation – will be to a PayPal account only.
- SUBMISSION EMAIL SUBJECT LINE SHOULD READ: BLPT – Story Title – Author first initial, last name. All submissions are to be sent to email@example.com
- SUBMISSIONS OPEN: Tuesday, June 6, 2017
- SUBMISSIONS CLOSE: Friday, July 28, 2017 (midnight)
- SELECTION PERIOD: Friday, August 31, 2017 (midnight)
- CONTRIBUTOR COMPENSATION: $25 per story (or combination of stories) selected for inclusion and one print copy of the anthology.